Food poisoning

Restaurant Shut Down After 15 People are Poisoned

An American restaurant has been shut down by Dubai Municipality after 15 people were poisoned. The unfortunate diners were struck down with Salmonella, caused by under cooked eggs.

Bacteria for breakfast

Diners poisoned by salmonella

Health officials shut down the Jumeirah restaurant on discovering that a sauce used in breakfast dishes containing raw eggs had been the cause of the poisoning. The restaurant, based in an outlet mall, will be under special monitoring for six months following its closure.

It has long been known that raw eggs can be a cause of salmonella infection. The bacterial disease which affects the intestinal tract is particularly dangerous for vulnerable people, such as children, the elderly and pregnant women.

Angry victims

It was on 14th September that the first case of illness was reported. A total of 15 people were confirmed as affected, one of those including a child.

The angry mother posted on social media saying that her daughter had been hospitalised for 6 days. Salmonella poisoning is known to cause cramps, diarrhoea and fever. After accusing the restaurant of greed and negligence, she made a point of thanking Dubai Health Authority for the swift action they took. Earlier this year the authority shut down another restaurant in Ras Al Khaimah due to poor hygiene.

Last year, Dubai Municipality ran a week-long campaign to educate people about the risks of eggs, giving guidance on how to buy, store and cook them safely. These initiatives have been targeted due to the number of people poisoned with salmonella year on year. In the first half of 2018 alone, more than two dozen cases were logged.

Facebook Comments